Monday, April 19, 2010

Family meal

As I've blogged before, I'm big on tradition. Maybe it's because I'm comfortable with routine, but there's something about traditions and repetitive action that puts order in my world and maybe even helps me to define part of who I am and from where I come.  From three-hour gift opening on Christmas morning to my sister always being the one to lead our family in holiday meal prayer to visiting Destin every other year, my side of the family has definitely had its fair share of celebrating and honoring tradition. 

Even before I married Mark, I was invited to take part in one of his family's most important traditions -- Sunday family meal.  Maybe a month after we had been dating, I came to find out that every Sunday, his family gathers from wherever they are to share a late lunch together.  It was very special to me to be included in this intimate time with his family from the beginning of mine and Mark's relationship.

Sometimes we go out to eat, sometimes we take turns hosting meals in our homes.  I think it's safe to say that since I've been with Mark, maybe only once or twice has the family not met on Sunday, only because most everyone was out of town.

The tradition comes from my mother's-in-law side of the family, as they all meet every week for family meal, too -- a whoooole bunch of them.  They all live in Idaho, and I've attended this side of the family meal once when we visited for a family wedding.  There were two long, long tables full of family -- maybe 30 to 50 people.  I'm not kidding!

Family meal is a tradition I've been happy to add to my list.  I definitely appreciate the time spent visiting, as sometimes life gets so busy, we might not otherwise find time together if not scheduled in.  Plus, we get to keep a close watch on our niece, Violet, growing up.  Soon Kenna and Baby Crowley No. 3 (Veronica and David are pregnant again!) will be joining her!

Crowley Hill Country Winery Trip, November 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...